"How shit you must be if I got you out twice!"
-Paul Harris to Andrew Symonds, Perth 2008

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Allan!

October is fast becoming my favourite month. First Morne, then Jakes and now the great White Lightning! Allan Donald was one of my first Proteas I fell in love with(the others being Jonty and Hansie). I remember turning on the t.v. and watching a skinny man with crazy eyes bowl the perfect bouncer to Atherton. I was sold!

He epitomized fast bowling. The looks, the body language, the running in and the deadly yorkers. He was the perfect leader of fast bowlers. Truly after the Allan, Wasim, Waqar, Courtney and Curtly era there hasn't emerged a single genuine fast bowler that can convincingly lead his pack.

Look at me, I sound like a 70 year old war veteran speaking of the good old days. But what can I do? Dale Steyn can't get over the fact that he was labeled the next White Lightning (premature, disgustingly premature!) and Wayne Parnell is too young! Honestly Allan, you need to sit these boys down and give them counseling. That should be your job...not coaching Englishmen who will amount to nothing!

But today, you can celebrate. Celebrate like the good old manic days.

Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Som said...

He breathed fire and could singe a batsman merely staring at him. We would not see any one like him again.

pRAFs said...

those eyes purna,
they were enough to make ......
well i was going to make a wetting the pants joke, but i guess you've been following swann and anderson on twitter.. so let's just leave it at that

Purna said...

Hi Som, nice to see you here. Never ever again? I hope not. I would like to see another Donald rising from Saffaland...maybe someday!

Prafs, ha ha ha!

Anonymous said...

he was awesome against everybody but Australia.

especially in that duel when he made Athers pee in his pants, it was terrific.

The looks he gave to RD after being hit for a 6 in the Stan chart tri series 1997 was awesome. he was pissed and no doubt he cursed RD post that hit. RD, being his normal cool self responded with one more next over :)