"How shit you must be if I got you out twice!"
-Paul Harris to Andrew Symonds, Perth 2008

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our number eleven is better than yours

When Rubel Hossain came to the crease, all I wanted him to do was survive the first 4 balls so Naeem could get back on strike. He did and I was happy. The thoughts then were, Naeem needs to reach his fifty and Bangladesh needs to cross 400.

We were at 397 and even then, my friends and I were worried. Such is the state of our bowling line up. Can't even relax without the mental edge of a 400+ score.

Then Rubel came back on strike and we were still 397. Disappointment. No 400 today.

Which is when Rubel hit the most beautiful cover drive for four, and all of a sudden we were 401/9. A top order batsman would have been jealous. But it didn't end there. Rubel continued to stick around with Naeem, hitting boundaries now and then. In the end, his was the wicket that fell (obviously), but not before he had etched out 17 runs at a strike rate of 77.27.

Let's put those numbers side by side: No. 11, 17 runs, 22 balls, 4 fours, 77.27.

Before that, Shafiul had made Broad, Bresnan and Swann want to run and hide behind their mommies. We don't need a top order, we have Shafiul, Naeem and Rubel. And a handy few people who bat before them, but you already know who those are.

As I have said before, we owe our International status to a number eleven who hit the biggest six of his life off the last ball to win us the game.

All Graham Onions did was defend. All Brett Lee did was nearly win the Ashes.

I know I am being very cocky here, but you know you also want Rubel Hossain in your team. So leave me alone.

Our number eleven can score baby. 

No comments: