"How shit you must be if I got you out twice!"
-Paul Harris to Andrew Symonds, Perth 2008

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

If I was paid...

I would sit and watch Stuart Broad score his first test hundred. But I didn't because they didn't pay me enough to rip my arms and legs off before watching. At that point, I thought that that would have been enough to downplay this horrible incident. Then Stuart Broad made 150.

If I was paid, I would also analyze this match-fixing scandal to the tiniest of fragments, giving my own opinions on Amer, Asif, Butt, Bangladesh being accused, Nathan Hauritz's plea to keep the legitimacy of his first fifer in test etc. etc.

But I am not. So I will just tell you what I feel.

I have no sympathy for Mohammad Aamer.
Mohammas Asif should really fucking grow up and realize that he just needs to be the best bowler in the world and nothing else. Which he already is, so I really don't see why he must engage in such behavior.
The rest who were involved in this scandal can go fuck themselves.

If I was paid, I would also probably hide my disappointment and keep this post perfectly devoid of emotions, but I wasn't so I won't. Fuck it! I probably wouldn't have been able to curb my emotions even if I had been paid.

When Hansie Cronje admitted to his crimes, I was shaken to the core. To many, this will sound silly but not to those who love cricket with a passion the way I do. When a player takes money to throw away the very thing that entertain, evoke emotions, pride, fierce loyalty all at the same time, it is an unimaginable betrayal. I am not exaggerating and you know it.

I don't buy scalped tickets, I never will. I don't buy fake jerseys and for a while now I have been saving up little by little to go visit Lords. There have been many downfalls to this plan of course but I start all over again. And when I walk into the ground there is a very good chance I will shed a tear. Like I did when Pollock retired, when Klusener got run out, when Shakib got stumped against England...

Dear cricketers, this is the level of attachment to this game. We too go broke so we can watch matches, travel to venues.

So your families were in danger, you could have told the police and gotten security. But how will you fix this hatred that live in the hearts of your fans now? Will you pay us too?

We won't take your tainted money. You can keep it. And as you are keeping it, do us a favour and make an exit as fast you can. I would rather watch a mediocre player than a great one who disrespects his greatness for money.

5 comments:

mspr1nt said...

ah, you know my feelings on Aamer so I shan't argue with that but, I will say that you made me well up a bit with the Pollock bit and the crying when walking into Lord's bit. Very much share those sentiments. Nice post, miss.

Unknown said...

Well said P. You can always save up and come and watch Central Districts v Auckland at Pukekura Park - there is no danger of money tainting that affair.

Unknown said...

Well said P. You can always save up and come and watch Central Districts v Auckland at Pukekura Park - there is no danger of money tainting that affair.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mspr1nt on Amir, so we'll just agree to play nice.

It is so not silly that you were upset about Cronje. I know I was disappointed and absolutely stunned about Warne and the Indian phone saga.

In reverse, I was so proud when Aussie players were approached in their hotels during the last Ashes series and immediately reported it. Except Twatson, who had a drink with someone (thinking he was a fan and being utterly amazed that such a person existed)(as you would be).

sunny said...

Well, seems like most ladies are feeling bad for Aamer. So do I, can't help it.
I'm glad I wasn't into cricket as yet when the Hansie revelation came; it would have been too difficult to swallow.